Egg freezing (oocyte cryopreservation) is a process of preserving a women's eggs. Egg freezing has come to aid in the infertility treatment of women. Egg freezing is the process that involves extraction, freezing and storing the eggs as a method of preserving women's reproductive potential for later (suitable) and preferable time. This was mainly develop to enable those women who, due to studies or other circumstances don't want to get pregnant at the most suitable and fertile time of women. The frozen eggs can be store for many years without compromising the quality of the eggs. When the women want to conceive, the frozen eggs are unfreezed, fertilized and transferred to the women's uterus; resulting pregnancy. So, as a career focus women, will you try this infertility treatment?
Why egg freezing?
Fertility is ageist. Egg freezing is basically for those who want to conceive later but don't want to compromise with the egg quality and chances of fertility. Studies done all over the world, has shown that the rate decreases in women with age due to germ cell deterioration.
However, the uterus remain completely functional even in the very elderly age. So, if you want to conceive at older age; after 35 you can give birth do a healthy baby the natural way, since your uterus will be functioning alright. This not exactly a fertility treatment but a process of it.
According to the studies, the chances of fertility
- After 32, woman's conceiving decreases gradually
- From 35, infertility speeds up
- By 40, fertility has fallen by half
Also, the risk on pregnancy and birth complication is high on elderly (older) women. In those scenario, the frozen egg can be used.
Some of the reason for egg freezing are:
- Women who want to pursue their educational, professional or personal goal so they have to delay marriage or conceiving.
- Women who are diagnosed with cancer. Since egg are destroyed in chemotherapy, surgery or radiation, egg freezing is the best option before treating cancer.
- Women who are to go through reproductive system operation. It may be the best choice to keep a backup; incase the operation go wrong.
How is egg freezing done?
Egg freezing is similar to in-vitro-fertilization regarding hormone-injection process. Pre blood test and pelvic ultrasound is done to determine the dosages of medication. The women are given injection for hormonal stimulation for 10-12 days, which help the eggs(usually 5-6) to mature.
The eggs are collected from the ovaries. This process involves a needle passing through vaginal wall into each ovary. After the collection, the patient can go home with 1-2 hour rest.
After the eggs have been obtained, it undergo vitrification. After vitrified, the eggs can be stored for years without degrading the quality of egg.
Risk involved in Egg freezing
According to the data till now, there seem to be no risk to children born with this infertility treatment method.
- The risk for women involves vaginal/uterine bleeding, OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome).
- It may also involve IVF-associated risk such as multiple pregnancy, premature delivery, and infant with low birth weight.